Wednesday 23 January 2013

Fear?

I'm not too sure what I am supposed to take away from this article..
But It definitely has instilled FEAR.

How wonderfully candid...

http://www.vice.com/read/an-honest-mans-advice-for-studying-abroad-in-africa

I will always appreciate any advice I can get about my upcoming travels south of the equator and east of South America, but this seems a little discouraging.

On the bright side, atleast I have a little bit more to go on when it comes to what 'anti-life' sprays to bring... Is there an anti-snake spray?

Just kidding..... sort of

As a student of international development this doesn't actually come as too surpising, you're basically trained to expect the worst, and be pleasantly suprised if there are bathrooms.

I also want to point out that this article summarizes 'AFRICA' ...
Well, thats a pretty big place.
This article is focused on an experience in Cameroon, which is a West African nation with a life expenctancy of 54 .... I'm beginning to be even less suprised by this article.

My own international experience is (fingers-crossed) destined for Botswana, a South-Central African nation with its own track record, but I'm anticipating a much more positive (and less disease ridden) journey.

*hopes for the best.

7 comments:

  1. This guy seemed to have been expecting a resort-like experience. I really think you just have to do some research and manage your expectations. Of course it'll be different than going to Paris or London.
    When I was in Madagascar, I actually had four sand fleas dig into my feet and lay eggs. It sounds gross but honestly is about the equivalent of getting a splinter. And they called spiders the size of my hand 'house spiders'. Just talk to the locals because they'll tell you these things aren't actually a big deal at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD DARRELLE. The ultimate trooper.. and Yeah I agree, I feel like he wasn't prepared for what he was getting into...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think he was not prepared. I also think he probably was not well educated on the differences between 1st world countries and other countries. I know that I have experienced the same attitudes while travelling from other North Americans who feel that hostels should be much more luxurious and often seem to have the idea that everyone in the world ought to speak English because that is the language of North America, and clearly, that is what matters. However, what freaks me out the most at this point is the near-certainty that I will experience large insects and other creepy animals coming into my home. **shudder**

    ReplyDelete
  4. For every inspiring story and beautiful photograph from a developing country or "Africa", there are inevitably always ones like this too. As much as I'm not the most brave person in the world, I try not to let things like this get to me. Fear and the anticipation of negative things is usually worse than actually experiencing it. I think we just have to take it as it comes, and it will all be a learning experience. (Though ask me again my reaction when I encounter a snake under my mattress...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I like knowing about peoples worst experiences so mine will always be better haha, and if you expect the worst, you can only be pleasantly suprised! ... and Katiana, its the bugs that freak me out the most too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been worried about health issues, but I guess I'm not too concerned. I mean, when I lived in Ecuador I did things (like eating street meat) that most tourists are afraid to do, and they didn't make me sick. They actually enriched my experience. I guess what I'm getting at is that the benefits of placement definitely outweigh the risks

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that I think you should get out of this article is that this guy is a joke. It made me so angry for someone to be so ignorant about where he was going. Regardless of what the HDI index is does not mean that it is necessarily a bad place to go. The decisions that you make on the trip are all up to you. If you choose to be nervous and scared of these things rather than embrace it and accept that it's not going to be like Canada, your trip will be a lot better and significantly more fulfilling.
    My advice to you is just don't make bad decisions and you will be fine. I was walking around East Africa at night and never got into any trouble whatsoever so don't worry.

    ReplyDelete